JOB TITLE: Project Officer _ Education
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Xin Jiang Programe
LOCATION: Urumqi, XUAR
Number of Positions: 1
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people individually or in groups.
To plan, implement, develop and monitor Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD)/Basic Education/ Project, with the support from Senior Education Project Officer and local partners per agreed strategies and policies.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Project Officer _ Education
Direct Reports: None
If this role is a budget holder, approximately how much budget is the role managing: N/A
l No financial approval
l Regular contact of detailed explanations of policy, regulations, programs, services and representation of SCI at the local level or with mid-level counterparts
Frequent (over 6 days per month)
l To support the implementation of ECCD/Basic Education project activities, contributing to design, planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation;
l Provide technical support for project partners and monitor the progress of the project through regular project site visits;
l Responsible for the ECCD/Basic Education project’s training workshop planning, coordination and delivery;
l To support the development of ECCD/Basic Education project models, training curriculum and teaching material;
l To support the Senior Project Officer in the planning and preparation of high quality donor reports and funding proposals.
l To assist the Senior Project Officer in preparation of project budgets, financial reports and forecasts and in monitoring and strengthening financial accountability at project management level;
l Assist schools and community together to establish child rights and child participation awareness within the projects;
l To develop relationships between project staff and various partners to facilitate the implementation of project;
l Become aware of current policy and practices regarding rural ECCD/Basic Education situation at national and provincial levels;
l To support XJ Programme Manager and the Education Team on the communications needs of the organisation, helping with reports and case studies that will support fundraising or other needs;
To provide necessary support to other components within the whole education project when required.
l A professional qualification at Bachelor level. e.g. early childhood education, education, health education or social work;
l Ability to effectively communicate with people of different backgrounds, including in rural areas of project sites;
l Excellent professional and personal communication skills, and analytical skills;
l Good report writing skills;
l An energetic and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and co-operatively within a team setting;
l A flexible approach to work with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines;
l Able to carry out all appointed work in a non-political and non-discriminatory manner;
l Willing and be able to travel extensively and regularly to project sites and within China;
l Fluent in English and Mandarin both spoken and in written;
l An understanding of and commitment to, the aims of SC as an organisation working for social change and active in the promotion of the rights of the child.
l A commitment to support for cross-organisational initiatives and to team working and understanding of how to contribute to this.
l Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
l A minimum of two years’ work experience in an education related field, e.g. teaching or education projects, preferably working experience in the area of NGO
Skills and Experience:
l At least 3 years’ experience in related field (officer level)
· Bachelor Degree (3 years + education post-secondary school). May be undertaking a professional qualification like a CPA, or Master’s program
Communication and Technical Skills
· Good English communication skills, both written and verbal
· Excellent personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environments according to travel requirements
· Relevant people management skills/experience and proven ability to create an environment which encourages team-working and motivates a team across various geographical areas.
· Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for children
· Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
· Willingness and capability to comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including the Child Safeguarding Policy
SCI values are indicated below and we expect all candidates to align with such values.