UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
As in other countries, in China violence against women especially domestic violence, presents a significant risk to the health and well-being of women, and undermines the social and economic development of communities and the entire country. Elimination of Violence Against Women (EVAW) is one of the top priorities for UN Women in China. Additionally, UN Women works in China to reverse the trend of feminization of HIV/AIDS. The proportion of women infected with HIV/AIDS has doubled and currently women are in a disadvantaged position in regards to safe sexual conduct. UN Women emphasizes reducing discrimination and employs holistic strategies to link violence against women (VAW) to HIV/AIDS. We advocate that any form of discrimination and violence against women is a human rights violation and work to ensure that gender equality and women’s empowerment are achieved and women’s human rights are promoted and protected.
The UN Women China office will now hire a Programme Assistant who will be responsible for providing programme support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistently in the Implementation of the Eliminating Gender-Based-Violence Programme and the HIV/AIDS programmes in China, under the supervision of the UN Women China Country Programme Manager and the EVAW Programme Coordinator. Also, the Programme Assistant will provide support in a range of daily administrative, financial and logistical tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
1. Support the effective implementation of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS overall programmes, projects and initiatives
2. Support the effective reporting on progress of the EVAW and the HIV/AIDS programme and project implementation
3. Provide administrative support to the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme to ensure the achievement of result-based management
4. Support strategic partnerships, communications and the implementation of resource mobilization of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme
1. Support the effective implementation of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS overall programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Compile, summarize, and present basic information/data on specific EVAW and HIV/AIDS initiatives and projects for resource mobilization of the Programme.
• Review EVAW project documents for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Implement project standard operating procedures in line with the UN Women’s rules and regulations including UN Women Programme and Operations Manual.
2. Support the effective reporting on progress of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme and project implementation focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Support to the preparation of the EVAW annual and quarterly work plans as well as meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of the EVAW programme/project.
• Support to the preparation of quarterly EVAW project reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
• Tracking of delivery rate of EVAW, review of budgets of projects and financial reports submitted by partners.Assist in reviewing EVAW financial reports/proposals from partners and preparation of information for programme/donor reports as part of monitoring and evaluation.
3. Provide administrative and financial support to the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme to ensure the achievement of result-based management focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Create EVAW and HIV/AIDS projects for input into Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS award and status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of a project.
• Coordinate programme and administrative matters related to the EVAW and HIV/AIDS meetings, workshops and conferences including contracting vendors, organizing logistics and travel arrangements.
• Assist in the preparation of the EVAW and HIV/ADIS project/programme budgets, preparation of contracts and other administrative documents for implementation of programme activities.Maintain an effective filing system for the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme, both hard and soft versions; maintain an effective tracking system for contracts.
4. Support strategic partnerships, communications and the implementation of resource mobilization of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Support in updating database of the relevant public and development partners private sector, civil society and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme;
• In coordination with EVAW Programme officer and Programme Associate, support documentation of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS activities as a tool to communicate results, deepen stakeholder knowledge and buy-in to the project, and resource mobilization for the project.
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Participation in the trainings for the operations/projects staff on the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme.
• Support development and dissemination of knowledge products and other communications materials of the EVAW and HIV/AIDS programme, including coordination of design/layout and printing.Perform other tasks as assigned by the Country Programme Manager of UN Women China Office
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
• Excellent communication skills and good human relations skills, especially the ability to relate to a wide range of team members and partners from varying cultural backgrounds;
• Progressive thinking; demonstrating initiative and responsibility; ability to work as part of a team and also to achieve work outputs with limited supervision; and a pro-active, energetic and innovative approach to work;
• Ability to manage time in multi-tasking and conducting parallel activities to meet deadlines.
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
• Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UN Women;
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Able to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
• Able to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
• Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource.
Management and Leadership
• Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrate excellent networking skills with external partners;
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences or other relevant fields of study.
• Minimum 4 (four) years of relevant programme or administration experience is required at the national or international level, preferably in the field of development;
• Demonstrated familiarity with UN development projects in China will be advantageous;
• Knowledge of and experience in supporting project administration funded by the UN will be highly desirable;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
• Fluency in English and Chinese is required.