With technical expertise in climate action planning and implementation, the Urban Director will lead the city selection process and will then ensure that the cities gain the knowledge required to approach climate planning in a way that is integrated, systematic and inclusive. His/her technical oversight will promote the development of Early Peaking Plans that reflect scientific knowledge and use empirical inputs and local knowledge to inform decision making, that undertake mitigation activities across a range of sectors within the city, and that are actionable, transparent and verifiable. S/he will provide guidance to maximize cities’ ability to take action, leverage funding, and identify synergies with other policies and initiatives. S/he will ensure the integration of best practices, tools, selection, production and dissemination of best practices and case studies.
The successful candidate will ensure the program adapts to changing circumstances and needs and will resolve challenges and overcome obstacles to program success. This position represents ORGANIZATION and the program when engaging with donors, government officials, program partners, and other key stakeholders.
Leadership and high-level representation:
• Working with country director and urban manager, to supervise a multi-disciplinary team of professionals, maintaining collaborative relationships and a fast-paced work environment.
• Serve as the technical lead by providing the rest of team with technical insights, innovative plans and policy guidance.
• Lead technical research and serve as the key source for external expertise.
• Represent ORGANIZATION with influential national, regional and municipal leaders in cities in China, and its counterparts in the U.S.
Program implementation, oversight and support:
• Working with the urban manager, lead the design to assess key challenges Chinese cities face in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and how the program can best help them meet those challenges.
• Provide direction and oversight on design and delivery of training/peer-learning workshops for teams of key stakeholders from selected Chinese cities with the objective of increasing capacity on low carbon urban development.
• Create and maintain a peer-learning network among practitioners from participating cities, and its U.S. counterparts.
• Working with country director, urban manager, senior program officer (SPO), and M&E manager, develop work plans, budgets and progress reports as required by ORGANIZATION, donors and other partners.
• Contribute significantly to the development of ORGANIZATION’s program goal of urban sustainability in China. Actively develop ideas for future actions in this field.
• Initiate trainings, roundtables, networking events and other activities to achieve the program goals.
• Ensure coordination and relevance of the China-US city exchanges.
• Working with the urban manager, ensure monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet ORGANIZATION’s standards, and are completed on schedule.
• Working with urban manager, M&E manager, and senior program officer, review and finalize annual and quarterly program reports.
• Represent the Low Emission Cities Alliance program to government officials, funding sources, partners, beneficiaries, and at conferences and other outreach opportunities.
• Regularly inform all staff of program activities and accomplishments.
• Communicate program activities, challenges and accomplishments to the Country Director and headquarters staff.
• Work closely with ORGANIZATION HQ organizational and programmatic leadership.
• Provide proactive oversight of financial activities, assuring program activities are implemented according to the financial forecast and expected spending rate.
• Work with the urban manager, finance manager and the Country Director to revise the budget periodically, review and finalize annual and quarterly financial reports.
• Master’s degree in climate policy, urban planning, public administration, environmental management, government or other related political/social science degree and 15+ years of experience.
• Technical expertise and/or knowledge in one of these areas: energy efficiency, GHG emission reduction concepts, mass rapid transit systems, green buildings, environmental governance, climate resilience, etc.
• Sound understanding on climate change issues and the challenges it presents to the sustainability of Chinese cities.
• High-level representation abilities, with experience in China.
• Significant experience with international organizations, and municipal government in Chinese cities.
• Exposure to or experience with a range of government agencies.
• A track record that demonstrates energy and creativity, and the ability to successfully deliver training and workshops.
• Strong supervisory and mentoring skills.
• Proven analytical and organizational skills.
• Strategic thinker with an open and collaborative work style.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills. Sound interpersonal skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Office suite and web-based software.
• Ability to travel up to 30% time between selected cities in China and the U.S.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese.
• Commitment to ORGANIZATION’s values and mission.
Office environment. Domestic and international travel required.
ORGANIZATION is an equal opportunity employer.
Read this information carefully. Adhering to these instructions will ensure that your application is submitted as required for hiring committee review.
1) A cover letter is required. Your cover letter should be no more than one (1) page in length.
2) A resume is required. Your resume should be no more than three (3) pages in length and should include details about your relevant education, skills and experience as they relate to this role.
3) Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be returning emails or phone calls inquiring about the status of an application. If the hiring committee selects your application for interview you will be contacted directly by a member of our team.
Please use the following email to submit your application: email@example.com
Hot line: 15201536703