Under the overall guidance and direct supervision the Team Leader of Energy and Environment Team, the Programme Assistant provides technical and administrative support to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects and supports effective delivery of programmes by providing implementation support services consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
• Support to formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Programme Action Plan, with a specific reference to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects
• Support to management of the CO programme in assigned areas, with a specific reference to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects
• Administrative support for the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects
• Manage the support services agreements under the Energy and Environment Team’s and its implementation of its private sectors projects
• Support to resource mobilization and related innovation activities, with bilateral donors and the private sector
• Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, including means to find synergies sustainable energy use and socio-economic development
1. Supports formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country ProgrammeAction Plan, with a specific reference to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Collection, analysis and presentation of related information for preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC).
• Assist in preparation of programme strategies on areas of private sector portfolio, and implementation and monitoring of the Team Work Plan.
• Presentation of background information for formulation of related programmes, draft project documents, budgets planning and proposals on implementation arrangements.
2. Provides effective support to management of the CO programme in assigned areas, with a specific reference to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project.
• Support to the Programme Managers and project coordination officer in the preparation of and implementation of programmes/projects
• Assist in the operational and financial management of energy and environment projects under the Private Sector portfolio and ensure that all necessary documentation and financial procedures are properly implemented.
• Upon confirmation of availability of funds, assistance of preparation of project documents, work plans and budgets.
• Maintenance of regular contact and coordination with executing agencies and provide guidance on routine implementation of projects.
• Presentation of information for audit of NEX projects, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
• Maintenance and updating the CO partners database and donor profiles and briefing notes on key partners including government counterparts and donors
3. Provides administrative support for the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Review of NEX projects Financial Reports and prepare non-PO vouchers for projects in Atlas.
• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
• Creation of requisitions for development projects in Atlas and register of goods receipt in Atlas.
• Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
• Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
• Facilitation of information flow, coordination of schedule and other logistic arrangement both within the team and inter-teams.
• Assist the preparation and organization of meetings, workshops, seminars, PAC, outreach activities and etc.; participation in these events and taking notes/minutes
• Daily administrative and secretariat support to the team, including daily correspondences, maintenance of filing system, printing and photocopying, updating official travel and leave plan, visitor’s list and event list.
• Preparation of draft communications and translation of documentations including letters, MOUs, briefing materials, programme agenda and concept note-project proposals.
• Provide logistics support for missions, events and project related workshops
4. Manage the support services agreements under the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects.
• Assisting the preparation and finalization of project’s work plans;
• Make disbursements following the authorization of the National Project Director of the related projects and maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data;
• Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for quarterly and annual project implementation progress, budget preparation, audits and other reasons;
• Prepare budget revisions to reflect previous and planned expenditure;
• Advise on and assist in preparation for the project’s trainings/seminars/study tours abroad;
• Assist in project communications and the preparation and documentation for the individual contracts, subcontracts and equipment procurement activities in the project.
• Provide organizing the bidding evaluation committee and committee of procurement assessment for the bidding process.
• Maintain the project inventory (expendable and non-expendable items) and prepare the annual inventory report.
• Facilitate the project audit;
5. Support to resource mobilization and related innovation activities, with the bilateral donors and private sectors results:
• Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile under the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects.
• Track and reporting on mobilized resources. Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas under the private sector programmes.
• Support outreaching especially innovation activities to donors, government, private sectors, NGOs and UN agencies in particular to promote partnerships and mobilization of third-party and government cost sharing
• Participate in negotiation and resource mobilization efforts
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Support the organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff on topics related to the Energy and Environment Team and its implementation of its private sectors projects.
• Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
• Sound contributions to management knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Programme Unit and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, financial information, data entry and presentation of information
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Shares knowledge and experience
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
• Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems
Leadership and Self-Management
• Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure, demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexitiesensure proper programme implementation.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in Accounting or Finance or Environment and Energy. University Degree or equivalent in environment and energy, Business or Public Administration or related field desirable.
• At least 2 years of administrative and financial or accounting management experience;
• Demonstrable ability to administer project budgets, and track financial expenditure;
• Demonstrable ability to maintain effective communications with different stakeholders, and arrange stakeholder meetings and/or workshops;
• Excellent computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package;
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Good understanding of energy and environment situation and challenges in China is an asset.
Fluency in English and Chinese