UNDP’s Poverty, Equity and Governance (PEG) work aims to improve accountability, transparency and responsiveness of governance institutions and processes, with broader civic participation and better gender-sensitivity towards more equitable and inclusive development. Working with government institutions, organizations of the China Communist Party, and international and local civil society organizations (CSO), the programme supports political and social innovations, building capacity as well as developing leadership in China.
UNDP China’s engages on the issues of poverty, equality and governance through three broad areas. The approach rests on the foundation that the eradication of poverty and the significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion can only be achieved where:
· Empowerment – Vulnerable and excluded groups are the agents of their own development in the governance, social and economic spheres, ensuring equitable access to development gains across the population. An approach to development that reflects the pivotal significance of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
· Participation – Governance institutions foster policies and capabilities for more open and accountable government, through public participation and responsiveness to people’s expectations for voice and development.
· Reform – Governance institutions create the policies and capabilities for effective delivery of services, and are supported by the trust and confidence of the people.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader of Poverty, Equity and Governance, the Programme Coordinator is responsible for management of UNDP programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned. The Programme coordinator analyzes political, social, economic and legal trends and leads formulation and management of programme activities, and providing policy advisory services within his/her portfolio. The Programme coordinator focuses on the areas of Equity, Governance, Gender with a focus on gender and other areas as assigned by supervisor. She/he is also responsible for advocating and mainstreaming the rights-based approach to development programming and implementation. The job involves developing close constructive relations with the Government of China, research institutes and think tanks, the private sectors as well as civil society organizations while liaising with other UN agencies..
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Formulation and management of the CO programme in equity, governance and gender areas, with specific focus on gender equality, disability and governance issues. Provision of top quality policy advices and conduct respective policy research in equity, governance and gender areas.
1. Ensures effective management of the CO programme and working creatively under the new development context within the Equity, Governance and Gender areas and other thematic/sectoral areas assigned, focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
• Manage programme on the rights and entitlements of marginalized groups, including the women
• Develop the gender portfolio by introducing the gender equality seal in China, continue the work relates to gender-based violence and women’s property rights, such as the women’s land rights research .
• Develop consultancy services in equity, governance and gender areas, including methodology, toolkits and concrete service products.
• Bringing innovative solutions into the traditional partnership and explore areas contributing to UNDP’s positioning to a development partner and service provider.
• Supports UNDP’s programme that supports innovative solutions to promote judicial transparency and public participation
• Monitoring and analysis of the programme and where needed perform, timely readjustments in portfolio.
• Promotion of team work for enhanced CO coordination and specific results.
• Lead the resource mobilizing efforts in the equity and governance programme area, especially the gender and equity area.
2. Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services and conduct respective policy research in equity, governance and gender areas. Facilitate knowledge building and management to UNDP and the GOC.
• Ensures quality knowledge products developed through the Equity Governance and gender portfolios;
• Provide technical advices on equity and governance issues to partners as requested;
• Lead policy advisory services and contribute to UNDP’s positioning as a development consultancy agency in equity and governance areas;
• Increase UNDP’s visibility in policy advise and knowledge transfer through seminars, roundtable discussions, and advocacy in the equity and governance community of practices;
• Provide support for developing project website information, success stories, videos and other communication materials;
• Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
• Develop a network of partners from government, academics, think tanks and private sector on policy matters.
• Support the gender focal points system in the UNDP.
• Bring in creative and innovative new dimensions in programme, research, resource and partnership in the equity and governance portfolio.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
• In-depth knowledge on development issues
• Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
• Strong IT skills
Management and Leadership
• Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
• Builds strong relationships with government, academics, think tanks and private sector
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
• Promotes learning environment within and outside the team
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree on Law, gender, Public Administration, Political Science or equivalent
Minimum 2 years of post-Master’s relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management services in legal and judicial system or gender equality institutions of China, hands-on experience in designing development projects, and good understanding of Chinese policies and approaches to governance issues, ability to work closely with Chinese officials, governmental and non-governmental institutions, civil society organizations, research institutes, and private sectors. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Only applicants submitted through the link could be considered：https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=12752&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2