Civil Society Learning Space
China Development Brief offers a Civil Society Learning Space to provide students and other groups with the opportunity to learn about CDB’s history and other topics related to China’s civil society and social development. The Learning Space brings together CDB’s vast resources and decades of expertise to help make it navigable. The Learning Space can host students, academics, NGO professionals, journalists, and other interested parties for a variety of activities that will shed light on China’s grassroots sector. Please download the Learning Space brochure for more information.
Unfortunately CDB is not providing Learning Space services at the present time.
CDB staff are available to provide consulting services to individuals and organizations interested in working in China’s nonprofit, philanthropic sector. Click here to see the bios of our research staff.
We specialize in researching and writing sector mapping reports that identify the major players, opportunities and challenges in that sector and provide specific recommendations. Some of these reports, such as our Special Report: Mapping China’s Public Interest NGOs and our Special Report on the Diversification of Public Advocacy in China, are available to the public on our website, www.chinadevelopmentbrief.cn. Examples of our Consulting Work include:
- Providing policy recommendations on the regulation and management of nonprofits for a project funded by the Asian Development Bank and the Chinese government.
- Writing up a project document for a three-year project to promote a UNDP social governance innovation project involving the central and Ningbo local government, a private bank, and civil society organizations.
- Serving as the China consultant for the U.S.-based International Not-for-Profit Law Center, and U.S. International Grantmakers, in updating information about the legal and regulatory environment for nonprofit organizations in China.
- Writing up a mapping sector report on Youth Employment and Nonprofit Programming in China for the U.S.-based International Youth Foundation.
- Served as the China consultant for the U.S-based Hudson Institute’s pilot study comparing philanthropic freedom across 13 countries.