We have an exciting opportunity for someone with a strong background in cities and policy work to join our team to further the transition to a circular economy in China.
The ambition of the Foundation's work in China is threefold: to broaden the scope, the understanding and the adoption of the circular economy, with a view to enable better forms of economic growth. Our strategy revolves around four building blocks that have been at the core of the Foundation’s strategy, placing emphasis on high-level relationships, local demonstrators, and building capacity through communications, learning, insights and analysis.
● Engage, exchange – Information exchange to bridge best practices between China and international examples; translate and tailor circular economy research findings to different audience groups in China; make China-specific and international insights available in both Chinese and English; open-access; an online repository.
● Mobilise along value chains. Mobilise stakeholders around selected material streams and value chains, such as plastics, fashion and food.
● Convene, shape pilots and implement in cities. Use cities as a focal point to build multi-stakeholder coalitions and conduct city pilots covering the whole process from strategy development, financing, dialogue mechanisms, implementation process, to measurement, and turning lessons learnt into shareable knowledge assets.
● Equip – Businesses, students and citizens. Develop educational initiatives to complement our work and embed systems thinking. Focus on engaging the design community, businesses, schools and academia to impact strategies of today’s and future decision-makers.
Role and responsibilities
You will lead the creation and delivery of showcase projects for circular economy at the city level in China by:
Research and analysis. Researching state and city level policy that is relevant to circular economy and the zero-waste city initiative in China. Assessing the potential demonstration opportunities with cities especially within the plastics, textiles and food value chains.
Develop a strategy. Working with various projects and initiatives of the Foundation to research and prepare a city pilot strategy to showcase the circular economy at the city level.
Stakeholder engagement. Working with a wide range of senior-level stakeholders ranging from, policymakers both at the city and national level, companies, philanthropists, academics and NGOs to students and citizens, to jointly co-create and deliver city demonstration pilots.
Deliver city demonstration. Working with key stakeholders to develop feasibility studies for city demonstration pilots and coordinating with partners for its implementation and communications.
Internal capability building. Actively contributing to developing the Foundation’s expertise through the development of the Foundation’s knowledge repository on cities.
● Driven to see the circular economy demonstrated at the city-level in China.
● Well-versed in the circular economy or zero-waste city narrative.
● Self-motivated and autonomous, able to work independently with minimal oversight.
● Strong verbal and written skills in both Mandarin and English.
● Strong evidence of relationship management and stakeholder engagement skills.
● Must be prepared to travel within China and internationally.
● Over 5 years of project management experience.
● Understanding of Chinese policy-making process at national and city level.
● Previous experience with city projects (pilots) in China (preferred).