- Experience:2+ years
- Job or Application Website
PURPOSE and SCOPE OF THE JOB
The Climate Communications Officer is responsible for leading the development and implementation of effective multi-platform communications strategies in campaign projects under the leadership of Project Leader. This position requires knowledge of news industry, creating and pitching compelling stories, networking with traditional and new media, and utilizing tools and best practices to enhance Greenpeace's ability on news making and building public support.
The post holder is line managed by the Head of Communications Unit or Communications Team Leader. The post holder also assists the Line Manager in developing and implementing non-project communications strategies to achieve organizational goals and enhance Greenpeace capability to influence public agenda and build public support.
1. Champion communications in campaign and project planning. Lead the development of effective multi-platform communications strategies and tactics which are integrated in project plans, including collaboration with other Greenpeace offices if required.
2. Contribute to Greenpeace long-term communications strategy and organizational strategies related to communications. Stay abreast of the latest trends in communications, traditional and online media, and identify opportunities to adapt Greenpeace work accordingly.
3. Direct and oversee the development of the communication strategies and work plan for the campaign projects. Coordinate the planning process in collaboration with other departments, Greenpeace offices and Greenpeace International to have project strategy, work plan and resource plan approved.
4.Provide communications-related inputs on the future direction of campaigns.
5. Coordinate and execute cohesive, creative and effective communications strategies, including task managing others and collaborating with other Greenpeace offices when required, to increase visibility of Greenpeace campaigns in traditional and new media, and enhance public support and alignment to Greenpeace campaign goals.
6. Identify opportunities for proactive and reactive communications in traditional and new media. Prepare press events and public communications materials. Contribute to the creation of visuals and compelling stories to support communications plans and activities.
7. Lead project teams, or individually, to deliver high-quality project outputs in line with the project plan. Determine priorities, assign responsibilities and task-manage staff (if relevant) within project work.
8. Build and maintain relationship with stakeholders (eg. domestic and international media). Maintain media contact database.
9. Handle press inquiries and respond to public inquiries about campaign issues and other organizational matters. Build and maintain a sound general knowledge of all Greenpeace campaigns and issues.
10. Work with agencies, designers and vendors to produce content, creative tools and database for effective communications.
11. Act as Greenpeace spokesperson as required.
12. Manage contractors as required in compliance with Greenpeace East Asia policies. Manage project budgets and expenditure responsibly.
13. Work closely with others, including peers in other Greenpeace offices, to ensure coherence of public messaging, alignment with Greenpeace global identity and values, and adherence to Greenpeace global communications protocols and standards.
14. Carry out proper evaluation of communications impacts in cooperation with project team members and analytics staff.
1. Minimum 2 years of previous work experience
2. Knowledge and understanding of climate change, and the energy sector
3. Knowledge and understanding of Chinese/international media and policy making
4. Pro-active outreach for new contacts
5. Experience of working in campaign/strategic communications
6. Strong project management and problem solving skills
7. Ability to work independently
8. Native Chinese language skills and strong English communication skills
1. Experience in environmental/energy journalism, or climate communications will be a plus
2. Existing contacts with high tier Chinese and international media will be a plus
How to apply:
Interested parties please apply with your both Chinese and English resume here, or send via Greenpeace career site: https://careers.gpeastasia.org/go/Beijing-Office-Job/4569510/. Application with motivation letter is preferred.
(All information collected for recruitment purpose only)
Greenpeace is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job. Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicant’s merits and abilities.