Reports To: Country Director- Asia & Financial Controller-Headquarters
Supervises/Manages: Finance Officer and Finance Assistant
Location of Job: China Office
The IFAW China Office Finance Manager is the senior finance and accounting staff position in IFAW’s CH office and provides all financial services throughout the CH Office, including but not limited to accounting & financial reporting, budgeting, auditing and tax compliance, financial project management and administration so as to ensure value and accountability of IFAW funds.
· Provide the primary point of liaison with IFAW’s central finance department located in the US (“HQ”) on all aspects of financial management and reporting related to the Asia office in China.
· Provide financial guidance to the Country Director and Director of Campaigns to support the effective financial management of all programs and projects in China.
· Involved in the development and compliance of all IFAW SOP’s in all areas of responsibility. Where appropriate, co-ordinates the preparation of local versions of these procedures.
· Supervise the Finance Officer/Assistant and provide on the job training to project staff where necessary. Responsible for guiding, motivating and overseeing the daily work of the Finance Officer.
· Prepare financial reporting, manage the daily accounting operations and administration, control expenses in accordance with the budget.
· Oversee Yunnan field office financial management, review the accounts and financial report by monthly.
· Participate as required in application and implementation of restricted funds; Contribute to discussions and budgeting for the proposals. Set up a monitor and reporting system in terms with the restrictions; Prepare financial reports accordingly.
Cash and Treasury Management
· Approve all payments in adherence with IFAW SOPs from the point of obligating and committing IFAW.
· Enforce deadlines regarding submission of accurate financial templates and reports to IFAW HQ. Following up on the clearing of all queries from HQ regarding financial information received by them.
· Ensure cash and internal controls on cash are implemented and maintained.
· Responsible for the operation of China office related bank accounts including project bank accounts to ensure proper reconciliation and float levels.
· Review and approve travel advances, returns and credit card payments reconciliations.
· Ensure sufficient funds to be well reserved for daily operations & projects running smoothly in compliance with regulations about foreign exchange control
Budget Management and Reconciliations
· Develop overall annual country office budgets and long term financial projections in consultation with Program staff and the regional director.
· Approve budget transfers in collaboration with the Regional Director.
· Monitor overall budget management and provide regular updates.
· Develop policy & procedure (SOPs) documentation covering in-kind grant procurement, cash grants, and review of grantee financial reporting.
· Approve Grantees financial returns to IFAW for compliance and cost effectiveness.
· Review contracts/grants based on the HQ templates, ensure all proposals are accurate and well supported with CVs, TORs and competitive bidding is pursued in accordance with SOPs.
Audit and Tax Management
· Ensure tax compliance in all areas including payroll, contracts, payments, staff welfare and pension scheme, corporate returns, inclusion of new budget amendments, filing of all returns on a timely basis.
· Ensure that audits and health checks are carried out on a regular basis determined by HQ. Ensures that external and internal audits are properly organised and there is proper and timely follow-up of audit recommendations.
· Develop an effective asset management system including asset acquisition, asset depreciation and disposal.
· Maintain the record in a proper way and check with the record kept by administration department , make a periodical physical inventory if necessary.
· Qualified accountant with a professional accounting qualification of CPA or ACCA or their equivalent. A university degree in Commerce, Economics, Business Administration or related field will be an advantage.
· Minimum of five years of experience in financial administration & management preferably within an international organization or multinational company. Developed financial management/accounting skills are essential Project management an asset.
· Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of Oracle or Unit4 preferred.
· Excellent communication skills, oral and written in both Chinese and English.
· Strong administrative, analytical and organizational skills.
· Ability to work with a variety of people and projects, excellent interpersonal, teamwork abilities.
· Understanding of Customer Relations with emphasis on the services that Finance provides to internal and external clients.
· Knowledge and understanding of donor funded institutions and in particular conservation institutions and the issues that surround such institutions will be a definite advantage. Good working knowledge of the region of responsibility would be an asset.
· Should be willing to work overtime/ flextime, subject to the exigencies of the job. Local and international travel may be necessary.
· Sound knowledge of PRC tax laws, domestic accounting rules and international accounting standards and regulations
· Solid knowledge and commitment in the non-profit sector as well as the mission of IFAW
· Ability to promote team synergy in a multi-cultural work environment.