Reports to: Chief Program Officer, WWF China, in full consultation with Lead, Governance Practice
Major Functions: Lead and direct development and implementation of the Greening BRI network initiative.
The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is China’s flagship economic and diplomatic policy initiative announced in 2013. It aims to improve the connectivity and boost economic growth between China and BRI countries. Given the huge scale financially and geographically, its potential risks to nature are also substantial. The analysis found that BRI corridors overlap with many Protected Areas (PAs), Key Biodiversity Areas (KBAs), key landscapes and seascapes. In 2016, Chinese President Xi called for the BRI to be “green, healthy, intelligent, and peaceful”, and a series of major guidelines and action plans for BRI green development were released after that. It is important that BRI manage to move the green ambitions from words to actions.
So far, many BRI related work has been undertaken both by WWF China (which is the BRI Priority-Project in WWF China) and other WWF Network offices, which need to be further coordinated and strengthened to achieve a scale needed to meet the challenges and opportunities presented by the BRI under a coherent Greening BRI strategy. The Initiative will be led by WWF China on behalf of the Practices and the WWF Network. The purpose of this role is to lead and direct the implementation of this network Initiative and lead Greening BRI Priority-Project in WWF China.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
This role will be required to organize and coordinate WWF Network’s activities in five identified major WWF landscapes and lead the Greening BRI Priority-Project in WWF China. He/she will be working closely with Governance Practice and other key Practices across the network, the implementation countries, and those leading in conservation, fundraising, policy, global communications. He/she will be leading a fundraising effort to make the current work on BRI at scale in different countries and will take the leading role in liaising with multi-lateral players, like UNDP, AIIB, World Bank, UN Environment.
· Further develop and finalize a vision/strategy for the Greening BRI network initiative including a fundraising strategy, implementation plan and monitoring framework, in consultation with key WWF Network offices and practices.
· Work with key practice leads (governance, finance, wildlife, water) to identify and act upon emerging threats and opportunities relevant to greening BRI.
· Represent WWF at relevant international conventions and meetings, and act as a spokesperson in international media, as they relate to BRI issues.
· Mobilize transformational actions from external actors and stakeholders in support of the network initiative: act as “door opener" and ambassador for WWF's BRI work.
· Develop strategic alliances with international business and financial institutions to deliver on the programme, particularly to ensure sustainable finance mechanisms are deployed in the implementation of the BRI.
· Develop and nurture institutional relationships key to achieving the strategic goals.
· Lead and coordinate development of fundraising proposals together with related network offices.
· Update and develop the BRI Priority-Project strategy in WWF China for the new strategic period and ensure alignment with Greening BRI network initiative strategy
· Lead to set up and operationalize the governance mechanism of Greening BRI network initiative, including a Steering Committee, a dedicated focal point team, and a wider BRI community.
· Direct and coordinate existing network portfolio of projects related to BRI, create a clear workplan aimed at the delivery of the strategy with clear roles and responsibilities across the network, and overall manage the delivery of the Greening BRI network initiative implementation plan.
· Assist and provides guidance to help WWF implementing and supporting offices towards delivery against network initiative goals.
· Mobilize the human, technical and financial resources both within the WWF Network, and externally, to implement this network initiative.
· Effectively manage the budget raised and the related contractual responsibilities, be responsible and accountable for proper, wise and strategic use of these funds.
· Lead and manage the BRI Priority-Project core team in WWF China, at the same time coordinate and mobilize expertise within WWF China, to deliver the designed priority project goals.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
· At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donor budgets.
· An advanced degree or comparable experience in conservation, finance, natural sciences, management, international development / international policy or a relevant field.
· Excellent knowledge of strategic planning, sustainable infrastructure and natural capital and conservation as a plus.
· Proven strong negotiating and advocacy skills at the governmental, intergovernmental, and corporate levels.
· Experience in raising and mobilizing funding.
· Experience with building strategic alliances and partnerships to achieve common goals.
· Proven ability to work effectively in a complex organization, with cross-cutting, multinational, multi- disciplinary teams.
· Excellent command of English (written and oral).
· Demonstrates WWF behaviours in way of working: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, Innovate Fearlessly.
Internal — Works closely with: network experts from Governance Practice, Finance Practice, Sustainable Infrastructure ACAI (Area of Collective Action and Innovation), and other related Practices; Greening BRI network initiative Steering Committee, working group composed of implementation offices and other supporting functions, and a wider BRI community in WWF Network; BRI Priority-Project core team & experts in WWF China.
External — Works closely with a very large variety of organizations working on BRI, including donors, local and central governments, financial institutes, private companies, NGOs et al.
• Candidates should send a cover letter addressing the selection criteria together with a CV in English and Chinese as email attachments to email@example.com.
• Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email and please indicate your salary expectation within the cover letter.
WWF Network’s Greening BRI Initiative (which is also WWF China’s Priority Project) aims to influence and support the Belt and Road Initiative to achieve its green and sustainable commitment and mitigate its negative impacts on local environment and biodiversity via a series of policies developed by China and implemented by leading Chinese companies and financial institutes in BRI countries. In order to achieve this goal, four main workstreams are designed under the BRI umbrella, which are policy advocacy, green finance, sustainable infrastructure (transportation and hydropower), and sustainable