Policy Manager, Ocean
Title: Policy Manager, Ocean (政策经理，海洋)
Reportsto: Program Manager, Ocean
As part of the Ocean team, the Policy Manager will play a key role in scoping and engaging target stakeholders for ocean governance of WWF China, providing joint strategic leadership, representing WWF externally, and working closely with team members to reach ocean conservation targets. The person will jointly contribute to ensure the coherence and synergy of the Ocean Program as well as to support the mission of WWF China and the Network. A crucial element of the job is the policy advocacy in order to achievement conservation impactat scale, especially on sustainable fisheries and Antarctic issues.
• Lead on WWF China’s policy work on ocean, which covers key topics including sustainable fisheries, marine protected area and sustainable blue economy, with some specific focuses on Antarctic issues and IUU distant water fishing.
• Participation in important international meetings on ocean policies, including CAMMLR, CBD, etc.
• Participation in monthly team meetings with Antarctic team of WWF network, and contribute to linkages in growing tourism, fisheries and MPA work in Antarctic issues.
• Be a conduit of knowledge of ocean governance in China for WWF’s global network
• Lead the engagement with related stakeholders (with government, NGOs, experts and civil society) thatare critical for ocean governance of China.
• Working with communications team to develop campaign activities to promote marine biodiversity conservation and Antarctic issues
• Taking relative responsibility for project and activities on ocean governance to implement strategy of Ocean team and ensure good project management.
• Support WWF China’s Ocean Team to develop and implement related projects or project activities.
• Other duties as requested by with the Practice Head.
• University degree in Environmental/ Conservation Science/ Sustainable Development/ International Policy.
• Atleast 5 years experiences in related area.
• Further qualifications in environmental affairs and/or business management would be an advantage.
• Experience developing & implementing complex advocacy strategies and plans, preferably relating to environmental conservation &/or sustainable development.
• Experience interacting with the policy makers and experts at senior levels, and with advanced knowledge of ocean conservation and relevant policies and government structure.
• Advanced advocacy, community outreach, campaigning & multi-stakeholder management skills including atrack record of successfully engaging with diverse communities & organizations.
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, conflict resolution & issues management skills together with fluent Chinese and English verbal & written communication skills.
• Ability to work autonomously & constructively within a team environment.
• Adapted to frequent domestic and international travels.
• A track record of developing fundraising proposals & delivery against income targets.
• A commitment to work in accordance with WWF’s Values & behaviors & ways of working.
For over 50 years WWF has been a leading voice for nature. We are the world’s largest conservation organization, working in 100 countries and with over 5 million supporters. We work with governments, businesses and communities on environmental issues with a single mission: to build a world where people live and prosper in harmony with nature.
WWF’s ocean protection goal is a thriving ocean, which supports rich biodiversity and provides food and sustainable jobs. Globally, WWF’s ocean work covers five areas: a global plastics-free oceans partnership; sustainable fisheries for healthy oceans and human welfare; working with coastal communities for the ocean’s future; resilient coastalenvironments; and developing a sustainable marine economy. Our 2030 targets are: 1) protection and management of at least 30% of coastal and marine ecosystems; 2) a doubling in the size of the sustainable fishing sector.
• Candidates should send a cover letter addressing the selection criteria together with a CV in English and Chinese as email attachments to HR@wwfchina.org.
• Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email and please indicate your salary expectation within the cover letter.