Job Title: Program Officer, Strategic Communications
Location: Beijing, China
Reports To: Program Director, Strategic Communicaions
The Program Officer (PO), Strategic Communications, will be a responsible, energetic, and highly professional individual fluent in Mandarin and English who will manage EFC’s strategic communications work with a hybrid approach of grant-making and directly operating the activities. Under the supervision of Program Director (PD), the position focuses on the planning and implementation of projects that promote sustainable energy narrative in China and build a social surround that support ambitious policymaking. The ideal candidate is both strategic and creative, with a background in communications, journalism, public administration, and/or project management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Contribute to the development of EFC strategic communications strategy, and evolve the strategy to respond to new opportunities and dynamics;
· Work with PD to propose program budget in line with program strategies;
· Provide communications advices to other EFC programs, especially for major grants;
· Continuously seek opportunities to expand knowledge and experience in building domain expertise to ensure the thought leadership in the assigned areas.
· Advise and support PD to cultivate new funders and resources and engage existing funders in a collaborative way;
· Support PD in developing, reviewing and coordinating the submission of proposals and reports in coordination with SF office;
· Work with PD to report and update funders on progress of related grants and projects and actively seek feedback and engagement, proactively communicate changes in strategic direction or changes in agreed upon goals and objectives;
· Assist PD to prepare funder engagement materials such as newsletters, policy analysis, partner updates and invitations to conferences/workshops and study tours.
Grants and Projects Management
· Assist PD to manage budget, and to develop an attainable spending plan that supports the implementation of program strategy;
· Work with PD to identify and select grantees/partners, design project plans with grantees/partners to assure project goals and deliverables are in line with program goals and strategies;
· Oversee grant making process for the assigned grants, review grants applications, and approve grants in EFC’s grants management system timely;
· Monitor project progress with support from Program Associates, provide on-going support to grantees to ensure desirable deliverables and outcomes;
· Provide timely updates to PD on the assigned grants and projects;
· Conduct grant-level evaluations for the assigned grants annually and make adjustments accordingly to improve project effectiveness and efficiency;
· Support grant auditing and assure full compliance with EFC policies and regulations both in China and in the US.
· Proactively identify opportunities for initiative or project level collaboration, and work closely with related program staff to deliver the impact;
· Work closely with other programs to effectively communicate the program or initiatives/projects related messages to various stakeholders;
· Share knowledge, expertise, critical information and networks with other colleagues.
· Identify and cultivate valuable partners, including media, grantees, opinion leaders, funding partners, commercial partners and other experts or leaders in the field;
· Work with partners to develop the project concept and strategy, coordinating media and PR plan.
· Contribute to corporate communications strategy, by supporting brand and reputation building, providing contents to EF China’s WeChat and Website, developing messaging guides for major EF China topics, offering communications support to office-level big events, and developing processes and actions to reduce organizational risk etc., in collaboration with other team members.
· Help PD to foster team spirit and a learning atmosphere within the team;
· Assist PD to prepare reporting materials, such as the program updates, reports and work plan to the board and regulators;
· Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as assigned by PD;
· Back up other colleagues as needed.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in a related field: communications, journalism and/or public administration;
· Workingexperience: minimum 6-year experience in communications, public relations, or journalistic practices. Familiar with media practices, competent in strategizing and implementing communications projects, and knowledgeable in climate and energy communications. NGO and climate/energy communication related experience as a plus.
· Language: Chinese native speaker; excellent command of spoken and written English.
· Communication: ability to communicate effectively and logically with clear structure and fact-based supporting arguments, listen actively to audience’s purpose. Excellent writing skill is a must. With strong creativity.
· Projectmanagement: ability to conceptualize, plan and implement communications projects. Ability to conduct capacity building, monitoring and evaluation in the process to ensure projects are conducted on time and in good quality.
· Problem solving: ability to define and prioritize the key issues when facing complex situations, make logical analysis, propose possible solutions and resolve some complicated issues independently.
· Networking: ability to initiate partnership, cultivate networks and deepen the relationships with key stakeholders to effectively leverage resources.
· Others: Analytical and creative.
· Ethical Behavior/Integrity – Demonstrates principled performance and sound ethics, showing consistency among principles, values and behaviors to build trust and credibility internally and externally.
· Mission-driven/Initiative –Inspired by the organization's vision and mission, and take actions with ownership, can-do attitude and proactive mindset.
· Team Spirits – Collaboratively works toward solutions, which benefit all involved parties; willingly cooperate with others to accomplish team/organization objectives.
Please email a cover letter and resume (in Chinese and English), subject line "Application for Program Officer, Strategic Communications", to email@example.com.