Application Deadline: 22 September 2021(Midnight Beijing, China)
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SC-5
Languages Required: English, Chinese
Starting Date: ASAP
Expected Duration of Assignment: One year, renewable on an annual basis upon satisfactory performance & availability of funds
Background Information – WFP
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Since 1961, WFP has pursued a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed to lead an active and healthy life. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 75 countries each year. WFP was invited by the Chinese Government to begin joint humanitarian and development activities in 1979, when more than 1 in every 3 people in China were hungry.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the Director of WFP China Office, the Programme Assistant will report to WFP China Office Programme Policy Officer (South-South Cooperation) and work in close coordination with WFP South-South and triangular cooperation (SSTC) Global Team, focusing on Country Pilot Projects under the WFP-China SSTC Field Pilot Initiative and COVID-19 SSTC Opportunity Fund supported by seed fund from China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (MARA). S/he will also support the WFP China Office SSC unit in general management of project formulation, implementation, coordination, and M&E data collection, simple translation. More specifically, the Programme Assistant will:
• Assist in the identification, formulation and preparation of project concept notes and proposals; participate in the preparation of draft project documents;
• Conduct desk research on food, agriculture and rural economic subject matters, and prepare background information and tables for briefing and review sessions;
• Support WFP China Center of Excellence SSTC Knowledge-Sharing Platform building and operation;
• Support the preparation of communication products and events as requested;
• Maintain and update the projects’ M&E databases and records on project activities for monitoring and evaluation purposes;
• Draft administrative correspondence on projects and programmes activities;
• Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports and ensure their timely submission to project management;
• Perform simple translation of project-related correspondence and presentation for the missions and meetings as and when required;
• Perform other duties as and when required.
Education: University Degree in agricultural economics, International Development Studies, Social Science, Political Science, Economics, or other relevant subject.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience on project management and programme operations. Previous work experience in agricultural economics or other field related to development assistance is preferable. Previous work experience in the UN/international organizations will be considered an advantage.
Skills and competencies:
Ability to work Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail) required for work; Ability to prepare preliminary reports and to draft correspondence; Ability to work in multi-cultural environment; Ability to work under pressure, be able to meet deadline, willing to take challenges; Good communication skills with different stakeholders especially local partners.
Performance indicators: Concise reports and correspondence drafted with high quality; Smooth communication and dialogue maintained with the national counterparts; Strong enthusiasm with highly appreciated flexibility and adaptation; Work assignment completed before the deadline.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Chinese.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your profile. We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
All female and male candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position which is open for Chinese nationals only.
To apply please send us the Personal History Form (P11) no later than 22 September 2021:
E-Mail: HR.firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject " Programme Assistant(Country Pilot Projects)- Ms/Mr. (Candidate’s Name)”