A public offering for the Conservation of the Great Wall was held at the Great Hall of the People by the China Foundation for Cultural Heritage Conservation (CFCHC) on the first of September. This was the first public offering for the preservation of the Great Wall, and also China’s first public offering for the conservation of cultural heritage to make use of the internet.
As one of the largest single pieces of cultural heritage in the world, the Great Wall has been suffering from both natural and human damage for thousands of years, and it has been listed as one of the hundred most endangered historic sites worldwide. The CFCHC aims to promote the Wall’s protection through this public offering.
Yaohui Dong, an expert on the Great Wall, explained that the plan is to use the funds raised to restore four sections of the Wall. Some activities which the donors can take part in have also been planned, including making the bricks for the Wall in a kiln and walking up the Wall. Those who want to know more can follow the official account of the China Foundation for Cultural Heritage Conservation on Wechat.
Out of the four sections of the Great Wall that are marked for restoration, two were constructed during the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644), and their restoration is mentioned in China’s 13th five-year plan. It is estimated that 38 million yuan will be used for the restoration work, taking up 94% of the fund. And the other 6% will be used for maintenance.